Sunday, May 16, 2010

When Did Nothing Become Lazy?

Right now we have about 24 days left in our school year.  Of course the questions have started, "What are you doing this summer?" 

Now during the school year I am extremely regimented and organized.  You have to be.  But during the summer, well, my boyfriend is lucky if I am dressed before noon.  So when people ask what I'm doing this summer and I shrug and say "Nothing big," I'm surprised that they are surprised. 

My response of "Nothing big" is usually met with a silence and then the other person tries to cover it up by saying something along the lines of "Oh well that sounds fun.  You need it.  The time to relax."  And then I'm given a smile and a nod of approval.  But it's always followed by a list of what the other person plans to do this summer.  "Well my husband and I are traveling to New York for a few weeks to visit his family.  I'm taking a few college classes this summer, and I really want to paint the living room and both bathrooms.  And then in August we're taking a trip to Las Vegas.  Of course my parents want me to come to the family reunion in New Jersey so we're going to try and fit that in too."  This was the actual answer given to me from another teacher.

NO!  This is not the purpose of summer vacation.  Or at least, it's not the purpose for me.  I look forward to not having a schedule.  I look forward to not having to get up every morning at 5.  I look forward to doing the chores (if I feel like it) that get shoved to the side during the school year.  I look forward to taking naps whenever I feel like it.  I look forward to going to the bathroom whenever I feel like it.  (Okay, that last one sounds completely odd, but not if you're a teacher.)  But I don't know why I am made to feel that I am doing something wrong if I don't have these grandiose plans each summer. 

So I guess my point is, it's my summer.  And I celebrate by doing nothing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment